GCSAA is often asked what we are doing to recruit new talent into the field, as well as what value are we providing to student members. Did you know that a student member can maintain a student membership for up to 24 months after graduation, so long as the student is not in a golf course management role? It’s true.
Furthermore, students have access to live and on-demand webinars. They have access to the job board, valuable scholarship opportunities, and an important resume critiquing service which can prove vital in landing the right job.
With regard to GIS, students are entitled to a free full registration, student hotel room block (special rates), 50-percent-off discount member pricing for seminars, access to student booth area, free professional headshots, and a student reception event.
In 2017, GCSAA is taking the following steps to enhance student engagement:
- Student recruitment before college: GCSAA staff will participate at high school, FFA National Conference and Tradeshow, Vocational Tech School career day events to inform students of golf industry careers. We will provide superintendents tools (marketing packets and PowerPoint presentations) to engage with students at their local career events. GCSAA staff will participate in First Green and First Tee events across the country.
- Mentorship program: By engaging students with assistant superintendents and superintendents, this program will facilitate career growth and upward mobility. This will be a software platform that will allow them to engage in a private arena to facilitate open communication.
- Internship program: GCSAA will provide superintendents the tools to create active learning environments for students. Students will be provided with checklists for a productive internship experience. GCSAA will provide the means for them to communicate and reach each other.
- Student Listserve: Students will be supplied with a Listserve communication tool. This will enable them to directly receive information that is pertinent to them. Student events, student internships, and networking opportunities will be communicated through the Listserve. They will also be able to network and engage with students across the globe.
- Student chapter engagement: GCSAA will be making visits to universities and colleges that have GCSAA student chapters. We will offer speakers and educational content that they can choose from for their turf club meetings. We will be working with the GCSAA affiliated superintendent chapter to engage them with their student chapter.
As we look forward, GCSAA will continue to enhance these programs as to guarantee the success of our field heading to the future.